Personal "air conditioners" aren't what they seem technology connections

You know, it’s one thing when a product has a limited scope and application. It’s another when it’s passed off as something greater than what it is. Learn why these fad devices are fad devices in this video.

Here’s some of the stuff I referenced;

First, the channel HVACR Videos. This really is a fascinating channel if you’re curious about what goes into commercial refrigeration and air conditioning systems, and is a great resource for anyone looking to go into that trade;

The video I specifically referenced with the swamp cooler was actually two; in the second video, the swamp cooler is rebuilt.

Second, my old plugs;
Rice cooker:

Portable air conditioners:

Other assorted links;
Technology Connextras (the second channel that stuff goes on sometimes):

Technology Connections on Twitter:

The TC Subreddit

This channel is supported through viewer contribution on Patreon. Thanks to the generous support of people like you, Technology Connections has remained independent and possible. It’s how I can make fun of products like these! If you’d like to join the amazing people who’ve pledged their support, check out the link below. Thank you for your consideration!

And thank you to the following patrons!
reavisrk ., coudy , Matthew Stoldal, Nathan Lawrence, Charles Gillanders, Gavin , Danielle Duarte, sheepish.alpaca , Juhani Saarinen, Ashley Hakker, M10360 , Salvatore Nuzzo, Jake Austin, Thibault Martin-Lagardette, Eric Hoppe, Rob Lion, Nikolaus , Ohad Lutzky, Marek Standio, John Julian, Edward Harris, Jean-Baptiste Dubois, Michael Young, Mirror, Rebecca Valentine, Justin Howell, wingee , Cyle Lapread, Cmdr MadMax, Chris Miller, David Cawthon, Brian Taylor, Arnas , Jacob Kubacki, Steven West, Bob Meyers, BEAVIS, Rabbits Watching, Michael, Ross George, Kael, Merton Hale, Nodar Rocko Davituri, Dawn Swain, JCRail , Bill Holland, James , Micah Catlin, AZbytes , Sebastian Schagerer, cody thompson, Francis O’Brien, Bryan Culver, John Goldhamer, Bob Holt, John-Paul Holt, Alex Nelson, Ruleryak, Andrei Blinov, Andrew Rogers, wholegroanoats , Michael Pecorini, Torte Hanrahan, Jamie Mastro, Shivan , Sound Board, Ethan Pierce, Danila Alpatov, XPEric , NQR , Stuart Macdonald, Kelvin Hall, Shut up and take my money, Jeff Powell, Anthon Hintzen, Devin Luxner, CJ Mariani, Stefan Kaczmarek, Timm B, Stefano, Harrison Wright, Ytak , Wolf Tolbert, DeepestBlue , Nhan L, John Fitzgerald, Sebastien De Groof, Robert T Kirton, Juha Kuikka, Maggie Danger, Jay ‘Unionize Everything Except Cops’ Logan, Conduit of Queerness, Mage of Life, Matthew Lowe, An Ho, Steven Byrum-Bratsen, Sean Callinan, Scott Schreiber, Mitch Buchan, Anicra , Nathan Goddard, Sarah Collie, Maxime André, Konstantin Podleski, Chaos215bar2 , Michael Grados, Daniel Nefzger, Matias Mariani, Horatio Low, JoeAverage, Christopher Barback, yetanothername , Synoiz , Chip , Ulises Vargas, Jennifer Rae Fuchek, Adrian Bridgett, John Gjonola, Chad Gertz, Zhongchao Qian, Sean Murphy, Erica Eagles, Robey Pointer, Hayden Taylor, Hastin Zylstra, Aimee Kidrick, Alexander folk, Matt Gibbons, Omnizen, Zach Bean, Myles Hecht, Jack Knight, Peter Bergström, Maximilian Bork, Kevin Mckendree, Peter Amling, Ryan Duryea, David Ziemlak, GGreathouse , Stephen A. Wilson, Sam Becraft, Chris Benejam, Veronica Cary, Vincent Sandstoe, Craig P Steffen, Robert Mikhayelyan, Corey Ogburn, Harlan , Mike Stunes, William Leonard, Cory King, Matt Braun, Eugene Arutchev, Steven Fazzio, Dennis Roberts, Harrison Co, Michael Cafarelli, Justin Patriquin, THISGuy, Vincent Venezia, Doug Wallace, Brad Quinn, Austin F, Jim Puls, Zachary W Collins, Alex, Ross James, Jonfidential, Lillian Fleming, Jason Durbin, Kevin McClaning, Keith Ditchman, Andrew Minior, ventusignis, Jeremy Iamurri, Michael, Skoddie , Onzo Anderson, Alix Odendhal, bd_, Benjamin Gouveia, Ryan Doucet, Billy H, Sean Crocker, Phillip M, Robert Cole, iain , Ross Carter, Ted Flores, Jakub Strzyżewski (jeikobu__), Robert Fares, Neptunium Fluoride, Fangzahn Aviation Studios, insidelexis, Aaron Binns, Matthew Yu, Johannes Wüller, Adam Golden, Rustmane Skytrekker, John J Yang, Matthew Hilder, leastbad, Joe Pannullo, Solus, Christopher Ottman, Gyiyg, Alex Conner, Colin Williams, Martin M, Jim Gilsinan, Fox E. Wolf, Michael Goode, Julian Freeman, Ed Torres, Jon-Håkon Røli, Matt Wright, Gunplumber , Bane Williams, vinny rapisarda, Kara Danvers, Manuel Garcia, Tristan Petry, Matthew Lucas, Doomerdinger , Udo Strass, Jonathan Polley, Alexander Davis, SomeonesGonnaPayForThis , Thomas Rowan, Robert Valdimarsson

Images related to the topic technology connections

Personal "air conditioners" aren't what they seem

Personal "air conditioners" aren't what they seem

Search related to the topic Personal "air conditioners" aren't what they seem

#Personal #quotair #conditionersquot #aren39t
Personal "air conditioners" aren't what they seem
technology connections

Micah Todd 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

I heard the ozone recently forgave us for the spray cans as the ozone hole closed and filled

AegisHyperon 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

Looks like a humidifier

Ulysses3473 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

My cat loves these types of cooler but the plastic filter kind .Sleeping in front of it during hot days , just the right size 😻

Moswen Media 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

Interesting note, as someone who lives in a southern state plagued by 99% humidity in the summer, I've found out cooling based on air moving through a membrane is not very effective. I enjoy riding motorcycles and because I have a whole motor between my legs and in the sun with no roof, it can get incredibly hot in the summer. Commonly bikers will soak their jackets, or a bandana in water and let the air passing through it cool your body. I was saddened to discover, that it doesn't work very well in a place where the air is more saturated than your jacket.

gnarth d'arkanen 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

Thanks, Alec… for the confirmation I'd rather hoped I'd find.

I do calculations on things like these based (often) on something I call "the quick and dirty math" as a logic system. Other people consistently warn me that I'm probably wrong most of the time, because of things like "It's just not that simple."

SO here (for those pedantic enough to want to know) was my "quick and dirty math" logic on this particular product… Having read up on the principles involved and the instructions for actually using the device. (No, I hadn't bought one. It wasn't hard to find out.)

SO it takes water I pour into it, and uses rapid evaporation to cool air. That sounds like a shorthand for drawing energy from the air around it to evaporate the water… Okay, I've been downwind of a pond, and felt the difference in the wind from over said pond. I'm with you…

Except this thing does it all in an enclosed space. SO (correct me if I'm wrong)… It's taking energy from the air and putting it into water that's going back up into the air… with the energy it's holding… to stay evaporated.

That sounds extremely temporary as effects go, and considering it's NOT nearly the size of even a small pond, I fail to see what actual net benefit it could possibly be worth… Looking at the prices for some of these, people MUST be crazy… or stupid… or both.

I mean… Even a basic understanding of thermodynamics is going to grasp that for the very limited cooling effect you might feel at the output of this device, there's going to be considerably more energy ready to come inside and join you from the outer world, no matter what you do… SO you're just adding energy to the air you're trying to stir around, the way I saw it…

AND I already live in an area so humid that mold is a NON-STOP issue wherever the air isn't constantly being moved… like via a "Hurricane Fan" moved. I'm just better off to set an alarm for early morning to open every door and window in the house, and a second to make sure all the doors and windows in the house are secured.

In any case… This was much more in depth and well articulated, but certainly confirmed my suspicions. ;o)

xinceras - 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

I had no idea those compressed air cans contained greenhouse gasses. Next time some hippy starts annoying me with a climate change lecture, I'll just give them a good spray. Thanks!

Ben 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

Coolgardie Box? If its dry it works. Atmospheric science in a lab. 🙂

Peter smith 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

At home in MS we had huge shop fans with swamp cooler in the repair shop i worked in, temps over 100 with 85-100% humidity all day long during summer. They were great for reducing dust in the air. Or a breeze when there was none. Not so much the cooling part.

Peter smith 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

Visiting my cousin in AZ during late 80's, they had no AC just a couple of swamp coolers they worked quite well for keeping the house comfortable.

Tara Wright 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

It's amazing how many people "invented" that amazing technology. So far I've seen a nun, a junior highschool student, a single father, a priest and a teacher in a crappy school.

Flavius Aetius 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

This is why I stopped using canned air. And they're super expensive. I've got one of those electric plug-in dusters now.

Haku 81 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

"A machine you can just plop down and get cooling from is impossible"
Zero Breeze-OH YEAH!?
Yes, now go away you useless scam, nobody wants you.

Rolofunk 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

what if I put acetone in it?

Jeff Lowery 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

Very informative video but overlong. Could use some editing.

D1V15OR 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

flamethrowers have to be "regulated" and "banned" but I can go to the dollar store and load up on ice throwers

ShrapnelSlurpee 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

When i was in the army we had 3 huge ones that were on carts they were about 6×6 feet. They worked pretty good in the dry heat of texas.

Marvin De Bot 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

Called "Swampies" in Australia, every home in the outback has one on the roof.

Hazel Greene 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

My idiot boss has one

Temo990 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

Is Difluorethane still legal? I thought there is an international treaty that restrictes the uses of halogen gases because they damage the ozone layer.

Greg Bolls 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

I have 2 of them, they work good down here in FL and also cleans the air going through them.

M. J. Doty 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

Love his science/engineering shows, but does anyone else get the so-this-is-what-Bunsen-Honeydew-would-look-like-if-he-weren't-a-Muppet vibe?

Terminal Insanity 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

that is an awesome tshirt

John Hasty 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

I tried to explain this to a couple of my friends but they were so thick headed that it was a complete waste of time, therefore I put your video on repeat in lieu that it would finally be absorbed by their minuscule brains. Always remember, you can’t win an argument with an idiot, not due to your ability to teach, but rather the fact is idiots are “unteachable” 🤣

فاء بن ألف' 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

I came here to watch you talk about that tiny AC, not complain about how a keyboard duster is “environmentally problematic”

Cinematic Scenarios 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

2:12 The oceans aren’t boiling, yet!

Tera GX 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

Bad marketing, if they didn't call these devices air conditioners I would have given them a look much sooner. Colorado is a perfect place for swamp coolers, but they can't quite do the entire house. I ignored these because of knowing how "air conditioning" works and the impossibility; if they instead called these swamp/evaporative coolers, I would have bought one months ago!

Louisa Sabrina Susiene Halverson 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

And I don't know why… but my Mexican air-conditioner automatically shuts off before over cooling and freezing itself up…
Unlike the USA versions that I've experienced before!

Louisa Sabrina Susiene Halverson 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

Both inside and outside of my house….i live in southern Mexico!

Louisa Sabrina Susiene Halverson 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

This is why my air-conditioner sweats condensation to the extent that everyday it will fill a 2 liter bowl at least if not more!

Surfer Silver 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

I like how you keep cool under room pressure with all these techno babble words you have to spew out at a higher pressure than when they entered your eyes/ears.

Jorge Barajas 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

yet…

Matthew McLean 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

It's a humidifier.

RK YEG 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

I was given two of these. My city had a few weeks of dry 38°C (100.4 F), and I used one at my home office desk and it did give some relief. But yeah it does not live up to the hype.

Edward Jackson 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

Swampers are useful in certain conditions

2 dragonfire 25/09/2021 - 6:02 Chiều

Instead of using canned dusters, why don't we use something like rotary compressors or something like that to dust our electronics. It would mean instant compressed air without a tank & the potential to be made of cheap plastic parts & no greenhouse gas emission (from the unit itself)